FI Fighter
≡ Menu

Greetings From Key West! (December 23, 2014)

Key_West

Hello from Key West! It’s my favorite time of year again, and to celebrate, I decided to take another vacation. The weather is just lovely right now, and I’m going to make sure to enjoy as much fun in the sun as possible while I’m here in the sunshine state. I’ll be making my way to Miami towards the end of this week.

2014 was an amazing year! Here are some of the highlights:

As always, I’ve tried my very best to balance both work and play. It’s not always possible, and I still find myself working far too much! But taking an extended vacation every few months certainly does make a huge difference. Early FI is a marathon, not a sprint! So, it’s especially important to take care of your health. The rat race is very toxic, so try and get away from the office as much as possible.

2015 is fasting approaching, and I’m very much contemplating making it my final year in high-tech. I’m currently employed by a wonderful company, but like most things in life, there are no free lunches. The compensation is great, but so is the amount of work you have to put in to earn it. And at this stage of my career and life, I’m getting close to no longer being willing to make those type of sacrifices anymore.

When you are young, it’s understandable why you’ll be willing to overwork; your foundation is weak (both financial and career experience)… Not to mention, you also have all the energy and motivation in the world to keep going.

As you get into your 30’s, things change… These days, I care more about my free time than I do an extra bonus, or stock grant. I’ll gladly sacrifice salary to get more days off in a year. Also, I have ZERO motivation to continue learning and progressing in my career. It’s all the same ol’, same ol’…

It’s time to flip the script and try something new. A life unventured is a life not worth living.

Keep up the good fight everyone! I’ll have a full 2014 recap up soon… and I’ll be working on the 2015 goals while I’m laying on the beach sometime this week… or next week. I’m on vacation, so I’ll get to it when I get to it… 😉

I’m sure you all understand! Live life on your own terms. It’s what early FI is all about!

Key_Lime
{ 14 comments… add one }
  • LeighNo Gravatar December 23, 2014, 11:27 am

I hope you have an awesome trip with your brother! Florida sounds like it’ll be a great break! My boyfriend and I are going to New Zealand for just under a month in Q1, which is going to be amazing! I’ve also managed to increase my net worth by almost $200,000 this year, which is crazy! That’s more I even grossed this year.

Happy Holidays!!

• FI FighterNo Gravatar December 24, 2014, 8:09 am

Leigh,

Thanks! It’s only been a few days so far, but the r&r is already doing me a ton of good.

New Zealand sounds amazing! I’m sure you guys will have a blast out there. Way to live it up some 🙂

Happy holidays!

• Even StevenNo Gravatar December 23, 2014, 12:04 pm

Love the drive to/from Key West has a feel of Venice, Italy in that water is everywhere with great views, enjoy.

• FI FighterNo Gravatar December 24, 2014, 8:10 am

Even Steven,

Yup, I’ll be making the drive from Key West to Miami in a few days! I haven’t been to Venice yet, but I’m starting to dig Florida. Great weather and views for sure.

• No Nonsense LandlordNo Gravatar December 23, 2014, 9:05 pm

Key West is a great place. It won’t be long and you will be on a permanent vacation.

• FI FighterNo Gravatar December 24, 2014, 8:13 am

Eric,

Yup, can’t wait until that day finally arrives! Looks like you’ll be there in no time… Have you made a decision on where to go after FI? Stay in Minny, or go someplace warmer, like Florida?

• theFIREstarterNo Gravatar December 24, 2014, 4:11 am

Makes me laugh when you talk about FI being a marathon when you’ve basically done it 3 years 🙂 – that is the Usain Bolt of FI sprints!

Strangely enough I’ve been to Key West, with my parents about 18 years ago. Lovely place!

Seasons greetings from across the pond!

TFS

• FI FighterNo Gravatar December 24, 2014, 8:24 am

TFS,

LOL! Well, when you put it that way, I guess 3 years isn’t really that LONG 😉

For some reason, it has felt a lot longer than that… Usain Bolt of early FI, I’ll take it! I just hope I’ll have plenty left over to sustain post-FI. 🙂

Cheers buddy and Happy holidays!

• JoshNo Gravatar December 24, 2014, 8:22 am

Just started reading your blog here – very similar situation. Engineer just turned 31 with some similar goals.
    Love Key West – been there a several times and it’s one of my favorite spots. Make sure you hit up Blue Heaven and Anna’s Cafe for a Cuban. Latitudes is pricey but the view at Sunset is worth it even if you just grab a drink at the bar.

• FI FighterNo Gravatar December 24, 2014, 11:52 am

Josh,

Thanks for stopping by!

Also thank you for sharing those tips, I will try and fit it into my schedule… Perhaps tomorrow as the weather all of a sudden decided to reverse course today… sigh.

• Steve AdcockNo Gravatar December 24, 2014, 12:43 pm

I love Key West – in fact, I’m spent many-a-new-year in Key West, Florida enjoying the weather and life on the water. Wonderful place to visit and not nearly as expensive as places in Hawaii. I’m sure you’ve tried a few of the local drinking establishments down Duval St.

I know what you’re going through regarding your high-tech job. In fact, I’m in that same category now and I’m only 33. I found myself a very stress free work from home job within IT, so I’ll probably keep doing this IT stuff until I retire, hopefully in 7 years by the time that I am 40. The pay is nice and it certainly helps to bring my FI date closer and closer.

All the best to you and your family in 2015.

• FI FighterNo Gravatar December 31, 2014, 7:35 am

Steve,

That’s awesome and congrats to you! These days, I’m pretty stressed out myself, so I may have to seriously start thinking about finding something else on the side that generates income, with a lot less stress.

Best of luck in 2015!

• BryanNo Gravatar December 30, 2014, 7:33 am

F.I.

I hope this comment doesn’t find you too late. YOU ABSOLUTELY MUST EAT AT 9-1-5. (915 DUVAL ST.)

Although my wife and I live a pretty frugal life, we do like to enjoy great local restaurants while traveling and that is exactly what 915 is. It is not cheap, but it is the best food I HAVE EVER EATEN. There is a soup that is called like bad mamas soup or something that is awesome and the Devils on horseback are the best i’ve ever had. That food, a glass of wine and sitting out on their porch to dine enjoying the ocean breeze while watching the characters of key west pass by is my version of bliss.

Beware, my friend got engaged there and it is believed my daughter was conceived there, which is why her middle name is West. As such, my friend and I jokingly refer to Key West as “No man’s land.”

Enjoy. It is a very special place.

• FI FighterNo Gravatar December 31, 2014, 7:37 am

Bryan,

Unfortunately, I didn’t catch this in time and now I’m in Miami!

Thanks for the tip, though, and I’m sure I’ll be back to Key West in the future to try it. Key West is an incredible place and very beautiful.

I can see why you are so fond of it! 🙂