FI Fighter
≡ Menu

Leaving for Japan Today! (August 08, 2014)

It’s been a super busy week… Lots of stuff going on: in contract for a new property, wrapping up a ton of loose items at work, taking care of some last minute errands, and now I get to unwind, relax and fly business class on a 787 dreamliner to Japan! 🙂

My flight is later this afternoon, and I’m super excited for this next adventure! It’s been a count down for about six months now, and it couldn’t have come at a better time. I’m pretty beat up and burned out from everything…

Since I will be out of town on vacation, the blog updates will slow down in the short-term… Once I get to Japan, I’ll try and find a way to rent a SIM card, or mobile wi-fi unit to get access to data. I should have free wi-fi at the hotel, but we’ll see how good the connection is… I may post a few pics every now and then… I will definitely have to do a trip report when I get back to the states… Yes, I still owe readers a trip report for New York City as well! So sorry for the lag on that one…

So, take care everyone, and keep on fighting the good fight to early FI! I will see you guys when I get back in September!

I would like to close with this:

“It’s not the things in life we do that we regret… It’s the things that we didn’t do.”

For this next adventure, I am flying solo! No plans, no tour guides, no family/friends out there, no rhyme or reason for this visit, really… nothing. Just gonna go with the flow and see where the unscripted road takes me. It’s time to LIVE!

Fight On!

{ 17 comments… add one }
  • Retire Before DadNo Gravatar August 8, 2014, 9:11 am

FIF,
    Have a great trip and safe travels! Solo travel is incredibly liberating. Talk to everyone and anyone who looks interesting, without hesitation.
    -RBD

• FI FighterNo Gravatar August 8, 2014, 10:59 am

RBD,

Thanks! I plan on mixing it up quite a bit with the locals… only real way I can think of to immerse oneself into a culture.

Hope people as nice out there as they say!

• Income SurferNo Gravatar August 8, 2014, 9:15 am

Sweet Buddy. Have a great trip! I love traveling and people watching. Be safe
    -Bryan

• FI FighterNo Gravatar August 8, 2014, 11:00 am

Bryan,

Thanks and take care bud!

• JC @ Passive-Income-Pursuit.comNo Gravatar August 8, 2014, 9:22 am

Have a great trip and enjoy! Your around the world trip is definitely something you’ll remember for the rest of your life.

• FI FighterNo Gravatar August 8, 2014, 11:01 am

JC,

Thanks! I’m really pumped for this adventure and I feel like a weight has been lifted off of my shoulders.

It’s time to live care-free and with reckless abandon! Time to create some memories and grow as an individual.

• TrevorNo Gravatar August 8, 2014, 10:51 am

Lucky Man! I use to live in Japan for 2 years. Miss it and love it! Here’s a good phrase to use on the women. 🙂 “Hisashiburi desune” Literally translated means, “it’s been a long time”. They love it and will then become your personal travel guide. All Japanese people love praticing their English, but it’s horrible and hard to understand. Ganbattene!

• FI FighterNo Gravatar August 8, 2014, 10:58 am

Trevor,

I’ll give that line a try! 😉

Thanks for the tips!

• writing2realityNo Gravatar August 8, 2014, 11:57 am

Enjoy the trip! Should be a heck of an adventure with some potential insight into your future lifestyle options as you jump into FI!

• Mrs. FrugalwoodsNo Gravatar August 8, 2014, 1:42 pm

Awesome! Have a wonderfully fabulous trip! Looking forward to the post-trip photos!

• No Nonsense LandlordNo Gravatar August 8, 2014, 2:55 pm

have a great trip. Post pics if you have the opportunity.

• YoungNo Gravatar August 9, 2014, 8:34 pm

I love that wisdom of phrase. Why did you choose Japan to visit? There are countries like Caribbean Islands–cheaper and closer. I hope that you have a wonderful time while in Japan and tell your readers all about it. I am sure going to tune in.

• Dividend MantraNo Gravatar August 10, 2014, 2:13 pm

FI Fighter,

Enjoy the trip, bud! Be safe. Keep us updated on the adventure whenever you can.

It’s time to live, indeed. Live it up!!

Best wishes.

• A Frugal Family's JourneyNo Gravatar August 10, 2014, 9:41 pm

Have a great trip…rack up those unforgettable memories FI Fighter! We frugalist are living vicariously through you. 🙂 Hoping to see a few photos on your next posts. Cheers! AFFJ

• DoneByFortyNo Gravatar August 11, 2014, 7:44 am

Enjoy your time away, and way to score business class for the long flight. 🙂

• AlexNo Gravatar August 11, 2014, 8:01 am

BTW- next time, sign up for T-Mobile for a month. You’ll get free international and keep your phone number so you can call back to the US if needed (at $0.20/min). In fact, I’m surprised its not in you FI toolkit already…

• TawcanNo Gravatar August 12, 2014, 1:52 pm

Enjoy your time in Japan. I’ve been to Japan semi-regularly the last few years and really enjoyed going there . Flying in business class is awesome!