FI Fighter
≡ Menu

Japan Quick Update (August 14, 2014)

image

Hey everyone! I’ve been in Japan for a few days now, and am absolutely having the time of my life. It’s difficult to explain in words, but I really do feel like I’ve stepped into a whole different world. I think I have officially caught the travel bug! If this is a sneak peak to what early FI is even remotely like… Wow, please sign me up for some more! It hasn’t even been one full week yet, but I’ve experienced an overwhelming degree of time distortion…

Time is finite and life is short. The only way I know of to really extend life is to live more! Each new experience adds a little something… It helps us grow as individuals. Evolve. Become something better.

Because I’ve fully immersed myself into this latest adventure, each day creates more memories than an entire month of my daily (mundane) work life ever could. From time to time, it’s necessary and important to leave behind the stresses and burden of the daily grind!

Here are some pictures of the life unscripted:

image image image image
image image image image image image image image

{ 26 comments… add one }
  • writing2realityNo Gravatar August 13, 2014, 5:23 pm

Looks awesome! Hopefully this trip tides you over until you officially declare FI in the next year or so!

• FI FighterNo Gravatar September 3, 2014, 6:03 am

writing2reality,

Thanks! This trip was very refreshing and helped break up the day-to-day monotony. I had the time of my life!

• LeighNo Gravatar August 13, 2014, 9:03 pm

Enjoy Japan! My trip looks pretty different from yours, but I really enjoyed it too!

• FI FighterNo Gravatar September 3, 2014, 6:04 am

Leigh,

It sounded like you had a blast yourself… I went in with an unscripted plan so everyday was really just go with the flow.

• DavidLAXNo Gravatar August 13, 2014, 11:04 pm

Who are the ladies 😉

• FI FighterNo Gravatar September 3, 2014, 6:04 am

David,

Just some friends I met in Tokyo. Very friendly people.

• No Nonsense LandlordNo Gravatar August 14, 2014, 5:26 am

Looks like a great time. PS. The best way to eat sushi is deep fried, in beer batter.

• FI FighterNo Gravatar September 3, 2014, 6:05 am

Eric,

It was a great experience. That sounds peculiar but very intriguing at the same time… Unfortunately I didn’t get around to trying that in Japan… maybe next time.

p.s. the regular sushi is pretty darn good as well!

• Will - FQFNo Gravatar August 14, 2014, 10:32 am

And who are the ladies??

• FI FighterNo Gravatar September 3, 2014, 6:07 am

Will,

Some folks I met in Tokyo. In general, people are very friendly out there…

• TraderNo Gravatar August 15, 2014, 8:16 am

Great to se youtube Photos! Enjoy japan! If You ever come to Portugal ler me know!

• FI FighterNo Gravatar September 3, 2014, 6:08 am

Trader,

Will do! I had a blast in Europe as well and now have the itch to explore it in greater depths. Portugal is definitely on the list!

• SundeepNo Gravatar August 15, 2014, 10:18 am

Love your description of unplugging from the real world and diving head first into a semi-retirement trip.

Have a blast and keep sending us updates when you can!

• FI FighterNo Gravatar September 3, 2014, 6:09 am

Sundeep,

Yeah, it was a great getaway and some much needed change of pace.

I’ll have a trip report up soon, hopefully!

• Stefanie @ The Broke and Beautiful LifeNo Gravatar August 16, 2014, 8:23 am

Looks awesome! Exactly why I try incorporating travel into my life regularly, even with my limited budget!

• FI FighterNo Gravatar September 3, 2014, 6:10 am

Stefanie,

I hear you — travel has now become an integral part of my life. I can’t imagine working the 9-5 grind without it anymore…

Thanks to travel hacking, it becomes a whole lot easier traveling for cheap. In general, hotels and flights are what eat up the costs…

• Dividend MantraNo Gravatar August 16, 2014, 9:17 pm

FI Fighter,

Good stuff man. Life unscripted is the only way to go.

Sushi in Japan…a dream come true!

Have a great time over there.

Cheers.

• FI FighterNo Gravatar September 3, 2014, 6:11 am

DM,

Yes, the sushi is incredible out there, as well as the ramen. I’ve been so spoiled that it’s going to be very difficult for me to enjoy Japanese cuisine back in the states… I’m not a food snob or anything, but authentic sushi and ramen in Japan can’t be beat.

It was a wonderful trip. I’m back and motivated as ever to reach early FI!

• TingNo Gravatar August 18, 2014, 7:02 am

Looks amazing! So happy to see you’re having a great time. I think the best part of travelling, is having nothing define you, other than you! You’re not FI, the engineer living in CA, who does XYZ. You’re meeting people and having them respond to you authentically, without the societal role categories that we often get hung up on. Hopefully you see more and more of that!

Happy eating and gambatte!

• FI FighterNo Gravatar September 3, 2014, 6:13 am

Ting,

Definitely! It was so great not having any schedules, or places I had to be. I could just enjoy myself each and everyday without really any cares in the world. Since I was alone, also no one to account for.

It was a ton of fun meeting new people and being shown a whole new culture.

Can’t wait to do it again!

• DivHutNo Gravatar August 19, 2014, 1:38 am

How timely! I was just there in July. Spent 2 weeks in Kyoto and Tokyo. Had an amazing time too. I always take time to travel. It is the one expense I’m willing to make each year. I drive an 09 Honda Civic, live in an apartment, don’t have fancy clothes, watches, etc. Travel is my luxury and I have already been to over 30 countries and I don’t plan to stop. Enjoy your trip and soak it all in.

• FI FighterNo Gravatar September 3, 2014, 6:14 am

DivHut,

Definitely, I’m with you there! I don’t need nice material objects, I’d rather spend money on travel and create lifelong memories and experiences.

Wow, 30 countries, that’s so awesome! I’ve got some catching up to do! Props to you for taking the time out to really enjoy life!

• FerdiSNo Gravatar August 26, 2014, 10:43 pm

FI Fighter

Thanks for sharing the excitement about your trip. Looks like an amazing adventure! We had a chance to visit China for a week two years ago, of course way too short for a country that big. Our host was amazing and the food exceptional.

BTW, I’ve included your blog in my newly expanded blogroll at http://divgro.blogspot.com/p/blogroll.html

Cheers
    FerdiS

• FI FighterNo Gravatar September 3, 2014, 6:15 am

FerdiS,

Thanks for including a link on your blog, I appreciate it!

I haven’t been to China yet, but hope to have a chance in the future. I felt like Tokyo was a huge place as well, and 13 days was not enough time to fully soak it all in… But that’s what early FI is for! More time and freedom to live life!

• Kathy @ RentalRealitiesNo Gravatar August 28, 2014, 2:47 pm

FYI – I just got approved for the Ink Plus card. 🙂 Been getting familiar with the travel hacking world via blogs and whatnot, so thank you for the inspiration!

• FI FighterNo Gravatar September 3, 2014, 6:16 am

Kathy,

That’s awesome! Wish you the best in the travel hacking game. I’ll have some pics up soon… hopefully they motivate you more since flying first class was an AMAZING experience!