How To Use Amazon Payments to Meet Minimum Spend On Credit Cards

ScreenHunter_21 Jul. 30 10.44

Update:

Amazon Payment is currently dead!

Introduction

Do you know about a web-based payment system called Amazon Payments? Did you know you can send/receive money through Amazon Payments, just like with Payal? So why use Amazon Payments over Paypal? Because you can fund these payments with a credit card with no fees!

But why would Amazon allow this? Because they want to gain market share, and the best way to attract new customers is to waive any credit card fees. The catch? Amazon limits the monthly amount to $1,000 before any fees kick in. But by using Amazon Payments, you can now manufacture spend $12,000 in one year. This is truly an amazing way to meet minimum spend on new credit cards with $0 out of pocket! It’s a fantasy come true for Travel Hackers =)

So let’s get started on the process!

Step 1: Create An Amazon Payments Account

ScreenHunter_22 Jul. 30 10.51

If you already have an Amazon account, then you can just simply login to Amazon Payments with the same login and password. If you don’t have an Amazon account, then you must first create one. In addition, you will need to include an email address to register, so try to avoid using any spam email addresses.

Step 2: Add a Bank Account

ScreenHunter_25 Jul. 30 11.13

• Navigate to the “Your Account” tab, and click on “Edit My Account Settings“.
  • Click “Add a bank account” and fill out the routing number and bank account number.
  • Next, Amazon Payments will initiate two small deposits into your bank account.
  • Finally, Amazon will ask for the deposit amounts to verify ownership of the bank account.

Step 3: Add a Credit Card

ScreenHunter_26 Jul. 30 11.13

• Click “Add, edit, or delete my credit cards” to begin adding a new credit card to your Amazon Payments account.
  • To keep organized, I only add one credit card at a time.

Step 4: Send Money

ScreenHunter_27 Jul. 30 11.17

Now the fun begins! What we want to do now is to send money to someone we TRUST. Why? Because this person will be sending the money back to you either by ACH or check. So pick this person wisely (e.g. spouse, parents, relative, or close friend).

• Sign up the trusted person for Amazon Payments.
  • Login to your account, and click the “Send Money” tab.
  • Type the email address for the trusted person receiving the money.
  • Enter the amount ($1,000 limit).
  • Make sure “Goods/Services” is selected. Do not select “Cash Advance“!
  • Write a small note saying what the payment is for (e.g. rent, food, tickets, etc.).
  • Finally, choose the credit card you want to use.

Step 5: Getting Your Money Back

ScreenHunter_28 Jul. 30 11.52

If you made it to this step, then your credit card has been charged, and I sincerely hope you sent the money to someone you trust! Because if you didn’t, it might be very difficult to get your money back!

Now if everything went smoothly, that person should have $1,000 in their Amazon Payments account. Next, have them transfer the $1,000 into their own personal bank account.

Finally, there are two ways to get your money back:

1. Have the trusted person write you a check.
  2. Have the trusted person ACH the funds to your bank.

My Amazon Payment Strategy

Every month I make two Amazon Payment transactions to my brother, FI Fighter. Why two? I just feel more comfortable making two transactions instead of one lump sum of $1,000 every month. Also, I make sure to add a note for each transaction (e.g. one for “rent”, and the second for “groceries”).

Then, at the end of the month, FI Fighter simply transfers the $1,000 from his Amazon Payments account into his personal bank account. And since we use the same bank, he then simply ACH’s to my bank account for free, and I use the funds to payoff my credit card bill. And as a reward for his kindness, I occasionally buy him a cup of tea for helping me amass thousands of miles/points each month! Thanks brother!

Will Amazon start charging credit card fees in the future? Most likely YES! All lucrative deals eventually die. But for now, Amazon is working hard to gain traction in the person to person payment space. And if Amazon can gain market share now, it will pay them back handsomely in the future, especially if the new Amazon phone takes off!

In summary, Amazon Payments is by far the Easiest, Fastest, and Cheapest way to meet minimum spend on those big credit card sign-up bonuses! You can easily manufacture spend $12,000 in the comfort of your home with $0 out of pocket!

So what are you waiting for? Go sign up now, and start reaping the benefits!

Fight On!

Sharing is Caring:

Living Proof

Living Proof is an avid real estate investor with a strong case of Wanderlust. He enjoys talking about his crazy lifestyle of collecting frequent flyer miles and hotel points. Within the next year, he hopes to declare early FI and to travel the world!

10 Comment authors
WilliamSteady FinanceLiving ProofSteady FinanceStefanie @ The Broke and Beautiful Life Recent comment authors
newest oldest most voted
Notify of
kb
Guest
kb

That’s awesome. I’m going to take advantage of this for sure.

Do you think adding 2 or 3 cards would throw up any red flags?

Brandon
Guest
Brandon

I think your amazon payments account can only be tied to one address/one credit card.

My friends and I do this monthly as well, but we have a rotation of 3-4 guys so that the payments never have to go in the same order. (I know another group of guys who do the same also)

I’ve heard of them catching on quick if you’re just sending back and forth between 2 people.

Brandon
Guest
Brandon

Let me clarify – multiple cards, but pretty sure you’re limited to ONE amazon payment account which is limited to transfer total of $1000/mo.

Andrew@LivingRichCheaply
Guest

I’ve done this with my wife…she’s my trusted person! I’m hoping they don’t get rid of free Amazon Payments anytime soon, but all good things come to an end.

No Nonsense Landlord
Guest

I was not aware of this! It beats buying gift cards…!

Mr. 1500
Guest

Wow, this is great. Now I have a new project for this weekend!

Stefanie @ The Broke and Beautiful Life
Guest

Wow, I’m definitely going to have to sign up for this!

Steady Finance
Guest
Steady Finance

So I’m in the process of buying another investment home and I’ve been travel hacking quite a bit in the past year. In your experience how has the underwriter reacted to multiple deposits of cash throughout each month that don’t come from your regular salary? Have you had any problems with this?

William
Guest
William

Amazon has shut down Amazon Payments! What is the new way to meet minimum spend?

Close Menu