FI Fighter
≡ Menu

Stuck in a Rut

I haven’t posted an update on this blog for quite some time now. In fact, over the last month, I’ve basically shunned technology/internet/computers altogether.

Things are ok. As I alluded to in an earlier post this year, I expected 2013 to be a difficult year. I guess I was just a bit more burned out than I had realized. I started feeling a bit unwell in late February — I think the combined stress of the job and trying to close the rental property were starting to overwhelm me. So, I took some time off. From work, from blogging, from everything. No, I don’t think it’s anything serious, but this last episode is a good reminder on how important it is for us to take care of our health!

I’m doing my best to get better now, and I hope to continue blogging. I really do miss following all the other early FI seekers out there… I look forward to catching up with everyone and their progress. I’m sure I’ll be amazed with all the excellent progress you all are making! 😉

With that said, I’m still on the journey to early financial independence. Yes, I’m just as frugal (or more so) than ever before. I have definitely not lost the passion to retire early. In my “off-time”, I’ve even managed to come up with a new gameplan to help me reach the end game sooner. I look forward to sharing the new details soon!

{ 16 comments… add one }
  • The Keichi OneNo Gravatar March 28, 2013, 1:09 am

Good to hear that you are feeling well. I’d noticed a drop off in posts. I figured you were just taking some time out for yourself which there is absolutely nothing wrong with. Sounds like you’ve had a full plate for a while now.

• FI FighterNo Gravatar March 31, 2013, 10:51 pm

Keichi,

It’s good to be back. Yeah, work has been very stressful as of late. I think I just needed some time away from blogging to clear my head. I’m doing better now, so I look forward to contributing again.

• writing2realityNo Gravatar March 28, 2013, 6:33 am

Health is much more important than blog updates and overextending yourself! Looking forward to seeing what you have up your sleeve to get to financial independence sooner!

• FI FighterNo Gravatar March 31, 2013, 10:54 pm

writing2reality,

You’re absolutely right, health comes first. Without that, nothing else really matters. I’ve learned how to balance work so that I don’t over-extend myself. This is getting easier to do since I know the journey doesn’t have to continue for much longer. Still, work stress is really starting to break my body down. I know I need to cut it out entirely, since it’s the only real way to get rid of it. Hopefully sooner than later.

Thanks for stopping by!

• Compounding IncomeNo Gravatar March 28, 2013, 8:29 am

Glad to hear from! I was worried a little bit there. Taking some personal time is necessary every now and then. I just took leave and came back feeling 100X better! Anyways I’ll stay tuned to see how the real estate pans out and watch you rebuild your portfolio.

• FI FighterNo Gravatar March 31, 2013, 10:55 pm

CI,

Yeah, some much needed r&r will do wonders for the mind, body, and soul. I’m counting down the days until my next vacation. I think I’m going to go to the beach!

Glad your vacation helped you recharge. Keep up the great work!

• MartinNo Gravatar March 28, 2013, 5:12 pm

Welcome back man. You bet you haven’t posted for a while. I thought you already got rich and now swimming in Bahamas and no more care about your fellow bloggers.

I am excited to see how your new property #2 is doing. When available post some pictures, you know, how many beds, baths, kitchens, family rooms, media rooms, hearth rooms, libraries, great rooms, game rooms, hallways, wine rooms, elevators, and powder rooms with a fire place in it your property has!!! I want to envy you something.

• FI FighterNo Gravatar March 31, 2013, 10:58 pm

Martin,

hahaha, how could I ever forget about my fellow bloggers? You guys keep me motivated, and without these great blogs, the idea of early retirement would probably still be a foreign concept to me. Believe me, I’ll still keep tracking early FI seekers long after I’m retired. I totally support anyone who’s searching for the better life and willing to put in the work.

I’ll keep on posting pics as they come along!

• Brick By Brick Investing | MarvinNo Gravatar March 29, 2013, 1:07 pm

Welcome back! We’ve missed you around the blogosphere.

• FI FighterNo Gravatar March 31, 2013, 10:58 pm

Marvin,

It’s great to be back! I’ve missed you all too!

• LeighNo Gravatar March 30, 2013, 10:19 pm

Glad to hear you’re still alive 🙂 Curious to hear about this new plan of yours!

• FI FighterNo Gravatar March 31, 2013, 10:59 pm

Leigh,

Yep, I’m back with a vengeance! Well, hopefully I’ve learned a thing or two since last time. I’ll update shortly!

• Steven J FrommNo Gravatar April 1, 2013, 6:08 am

Hey, I know the feeling. It is tax season for me and cannot bring myself to write anything at my blog. I come home exhausted every night so after April 15 I will jump back in. Good luck to you!

• FI FighterNo Gravatar April 14, 2013, 10:19 pm

Steven,

Yeah, it’s been difficult staying on top of the blog with the recent renovation and workload at work. No excuses, and I know I need to manage my time better. I’m hoping things get easier starting next month.

Best of luck to you as well,

• IntegratorNo Gravatar April 6, 2013, 8:01 pm

Glad to hear the all the business with closing your property has boiled over. It can be a pretty stressful time trying to close a new place!. Looking forward to the updates on how it goes.

• FI FighterNo Gravatar April 14, 2013, 10:20 pm

Integrator,

Yeah, it was pretty stressful, but not as bad as closing the short-sale. That took a lot more effort to finish on time. Now that I’ve secured a tenant, hopefully a little bit of normalcy can return to my life.