FI Fighter
≡ Menu

Real Estate Rental Property #3 Update (July 23, 2013)

Rental3

DONE! Rental Property #3 officially closed today, at 11:00 AM (PST). I stopped by my local bank and had the funds wired over to the title company. True, I could have wired the money over using the online service, but that would have cost me $25. By visiting the local branch, I was able to get the fee waived!

In the big picture, $25 is nothing, but why pay for something when you don’t have to? Often times, I think people get too complacent and just go along with whatever the rules are. As I’ve been learning through my experience with getting rejected by credit cards (and having the rulings overturned!), sometimes, all you have to do is ask nicely. You’ll be surprised how often you can get things done on your terms.

This whole process took three months! I’m so relieved it’s finally over… now I’m going to go out tonight to celebrate! 🙂

{ 15 comments… add one }
  • Dividend investing MartinNo Gravatar July 23, 2013, 8:49 pm

Congrats! But As I know you so far, this is not over yet, right? Now you start a quest for another property… 🙂

• FI FighterNo Gravatar July 24, 2013, 12:15 am

Martin,

You know me so well! 😉

Yup, the quest for #4 begins tomorrow!

• LeighNo Gravatar July 23, 2013, 11:31 pm

Congrats!! Enjoy your celebration 🙂

• FI FighterNo Gravatar July 24, 2013, 12:16 am

Leigh,

Thanks! It always feels so good to close a property. Feeling never gets old. It feels even better when the paychecks come in! =)

• JC @ Passive-Income-PursuitNo Gravatar July 24, 2013, 5:09 am

Congrats on number 3 finally being closed. How soon til you can get some cash flow? Leaning more towards the midwest for 4 or coming down to Texas?

• FI FighterNo Gravatar July 26, 2013, 6:10 pm

JC,

Thanks! I will receive my first paycheck next month, sometime in the middle of August. Both units are rented out, so the first month should be smooth sailing (I hope).

I will probably focus on the Midwest for #4. The prices are a bit cheaper than Texas, especially the property taxes/insurance. Eventually, I will end up in Texas, I’m sure. Cash flow isn’t as great, but appreciation and the robust job market are huge appeals. All in due time.

• The First Million is the HardestNo Gravatar July 24, 2013, 6:52 pm

Congrats!

• FI FighterNo Gravatar July 26, 2013, 6:10 pm

Jay,

Thanks!

• OscarNo Gravatar July 26, 2013, 6:03 pm

Congrats you should listen to rob black and your money podcast today he talked about some cities were realestate will be a good buy good luck on the next one.

• FI FighterNo Gravatar July 26, 2013, 6:11 pm

Oscar,

Thanks! I’ll be sure to check out the podcast. What markets are you targeting for your next purchase?

• OscarNo Gravatar July 26, 2013, 6:29 pm

I’m still not sure if I’m going to buy real estate instead of buy dividend paying stocks. I started to read hiw I turned 1,000 into million in real estate by William Nickerson. Do you know anybody that has used tom Wilson or Lori Greymont they are turn key businesses

• FI FighterNo Gravatar July 28, 2013, 2:12 pm

Oscar,

I haven’t heard of Tom Wilson or Lori Greymont. Though I have heard great things about Nickerson’s book. I’m going to order a copy on Amazon shortly.

• OscarNo Gravatar July 28, 2013, 4:43 pm

Lori and Tom have a show on 1220 am at 3:00pm and sell turn key properties. Have you joined bigger pockets blog if not check it out good luck.

• FI FighterNo Gravatar July 28, 2013, 9:07 pm

Oscar,

Yeah, I’m a huge fan of BP. I’m always listening to those podcasts. I need to check out Lori and Tom sometime.