FI Fighter
≡ Menu

Goals for 2015

This is Year 4 of my journey to early financial independence, and each year, I’ve put together a set of goals for me to aim towards.

Here is a summary of goals and results from year’s past:

2012 Goals

2012 Goals Review

2013 Goals

2013 Goals Review

2014 Goals

2014 Goals Review

Goals

For 2015, here are my following goals:

1) Focus all my time, energy, dedication, and efforts towards getting better and rebuilding my health.

That’s it.

I’m getting closer to early FI… but even if I don’t get there by the end of this year, I will be ok with that. The last 3 years have felt like a mad rush (self-induced) to get to the top of the mountain. Now that I’ve made my way closer to the summit, I’m starting to realize just how tired and exhausted I really am.

So, there’s really no point in trying to force something… I’m close enough to early FI. I have full confidence that I will get there in due time. I’ve worked too hard for it not to happen!

Instead, let’s set up camp, rest, relax, and re-gather ourselves, before attempting the final ascent. In the process, I am going to say:

• Screw work.
  • Screw work ethic.
  • Screw corporate politics.
  • Screw stress.
  • Screw toxicity.
  • Screw bullshit.

This year will be a spiritual journey looking inward more than anything else. I will immerse myself with: meditation, qi gong, tai chi, yoga, healthy (unprocessed) foods, happiness and happy people, lots of rest, and then even more rest.

Ultimately, early FI is about more than just wealth, or passive income. Without good health, there won’t be anything worthwhile to look forward to. If my decisions this year delay completion of the journey for another year, or two, or three… so be it. Worst case, I enter pretirement.

For once, I finally do feel like I’m making a wise decision… This one’s a no-brainer.

{ 22 comments… add one }
  • Roadmap2RetireNo Gravatar January 12, 2015, 7:07 am

Love it, FIFighter. Its what we aim for when we are in FI….and since you are getting close to achieving that….might as well start looking forward and focus on the things that matter.

I wish you the best
    R2R

• Frugal BuckeyeNo Gravatar January 12, 2015, 8:02 am

I hear ya. If you don’t have your heath then there’s not much attractive about FI. I hope you are able to take the time you need and sail across the line to FI on calm waters.

I look forward to further updates on your journey and where your travels take you.

• EricNo Gravatar January 12, 2015, 8:12 am

You’ve said it. You’re on a glidepath to financial independence even if you do nothing additional.

What value is wealth, anyway, if you are preoccupied with poor health?

I don’t think this decision will prolong your working years, at all. I think that with a clear mind and healthy body, you’ll bring on your retirement sooner than you expect.

• PaulNo Gravatar January 12, 2015, 11:01 am

With your positive cash flow from the properties and this website bringing in some additional income, you are nearly home and dry; the finish line is in sight!

• MichelleNo Gravatar January 12, 2015, 11:11 am

Love this! One of our top goals this year is to work towards passive income. We have some plans 🙂

• InvestingfortimeNo Gravatar January 12, 2015, 11:29 am

Sounds like a great plan! Just like Eric said above, what do you do with wealth if you’re not healthy enough to enjoy it? Best of luck for 2015!

• Jason @ Islands of InvestingNo Gravatar January 12, 2015, 12:31 pm

Love your singular focus on this FI Fighter – can’t wait to see how you progress with this most important of all goals. Best of luck!

• DoneByFortyNo Gravatar January 12, 2015, 1:05 pm

So many things to screw, so little time. 🙂

Great goal: I’m sure you’ll achieve it.

• Kathy @ Rental RealitiesNo Gravatar January 12, 2015, 1:48 pm

There’s a certain kind of freedom when you realize that your version of “good enough” at work is perfectly acceptable to most employers. I bet you’ll be surprised at the lack of employment consequences from your new outlook/priorities!

• No Nonsense LandlordNo Gravatar January 12, 2015, 3:07 pm

Once you actually get FI, like myself, you will realize the cube farm is not what it is cracked up to be. And work begins to get in the way of a lot more.

Good luck on your journey!

• Rat Race QuitterNo Gravatar January 14, 2015, 5:51 am

I was raised in the cube farm for as far back as I can remember (save for when I was “free range” as a bag boy). So I can attest to this truth personally.

• Dividend MantraNo Gravatar January 12, 2015, 7:46 pm

FI Fighter,

I appreciate the focus. Especially on something as important as health. Wealth without health isn’t wealth at all. Besides, you’re pretty close to FI anyway.

Best of luck throughout 2015. Keep up the great work!

Cheers.

• The StoicNo Gravatar January 13, 2015, 2:54 am

Sounds like you have needed to rebalance for awhile now. Hoping you find it in the coming year.

• Rat Race QuitterNo Gravatar January 13, 2015, 7:58 am

I’ve got a strong feeling this will be the year you say “goodbye” to the 9-5. I can’t wait for that post!

• SundeepNo Gravatar January 13, 2015, 2:48 pm

I second this sentiment. It’s going to be a great day for you to hit the submit button on that one, and on our end to read it.

Best of luck to your health and FI journey!

• PBJNo Gravatar January 13, 2015, 9:40 am

Love the simplicity FI! One goal – one desire. Best wishes on 2015 and hope to cross paths at a BP meeting!

• A Frugal Family's JourneyNo Gravatar January 13, 2015, 8:13 pm

My parents always told me, health and wealth. As I grow older, I can’t agree with them more. Wealth means nothing if you can’t enjoy it. Wishing you a healthy and prosperous new year! AFFJ

• BillyNo Gravatar January 15, 2015, 9:18 am

So what really happened at that workplace where you had high hope for? I am just curious about it. Obviously you were overworked and probably was totally turned off by some earlier empty promises that miscalculation about how to climb the corp ladder. I recently miscalculated myself for some hard work at office that didn’t pan out for anything. However, my goal is become excellent by my own right, not just to have a laid back lifestyle. Cause you can reach FI one way or another. But if you don’t have a drive for passion, you will get bored and unhappy very soon as well.

• No More WafflesNo Gravatar January 18, 2015, 1:16 am

FF,

Had a great laugh with just your one goal! 🙂

The truth is that you’re probably right. I’m sure that 99% of all people in our online community will reach financial independence with or without yearly goals. Many of us are so focussed on getting there that it’s just a matter of time.

All the best for 2015,
    NMW

• SimonNo Gravatar January 20, 2015, 5:58 pm

Seem like this will be your final year. How exciting! Best of luck

• MaxNo Gravatar January 24, 2016, 2:55 pm

No 2016 goals, fuck it? Or stay tuned…?