Mining Stocks – Investing In A Bear Market (DONE!!!)

by FI Fighter on August 29, 2018

in eBooks Update, Real Wealth Updates

One full week later, after applying some elbow grease, at times intense focus, and a whole lotta coffee consumed, my first “ebook” has been completed!

Mining Stocks – Investing In A Bear Market

Well, originally I was calling this thing a report but since it now stands at over 18,000 words long, I dunno, is that too long to still call it a report? I know it’s NOT an article…

Oh whatever, I’m just going to call it an ebook for the time being.

Anyway, as I alluded to in recent posts, with the precious metals sector still somewhat stuck in a state of precipitous decline, I thought now was as good a time as any to put together a compilation of: thoughts, experiences, stories, and ideas that I had floating in my head, formulated from having speculated in mining stocks for a few years now.

No, I don’t think we are quite yet at the Depths of Despair, but I mean sentiment is definitely negative at the moment and there are a lot of scared people out there who are down a lot on their stock positions… and maybe even seeing a Sea of Red across the board in their mining portfolios. So, we’re definitely closer to a bottom than any kind of top, if you ask me.

With these type of things, it’s kind of tough because an ebook such as the one I just put together really is most worth reading and can help the most people precisely during the times when sentiment is horrible, share prices of these mining stocks have been slaughtered, and interest in the sector is almost nowhere to be found. Unfortunately for me though, because of all that not so good stuff I just described above, of course demand for such said ebook is going to be… ummm slim.

But as you probably know full well by now, when it’s all “doom and gloom” in the air and the masses aren’t interested in studying/researching into a very badly beaten up asset class (that has produced nothing but horrendous returns for speculators/investors of late), that’s usually the best time to be looking for opportunities.

But of course…

Human nature says, “We wanna buy Bitcoin (BTC) when it’s shooting to da moon, over $19,000/coin and soaring to new heights!

That, or, “It’s all about MJ, baby! And no, I ain’t talking bout Michael Jordan!

Buying low and selling high?

Who really is interested in doing that?

Actually, perhaps not surprisingly, the type of people who read this blog seem to have a very keen interest in doing exactly just that, playing the role of contrarian speculator.

Which, actually in essence explains why I’m still rambling on about mining stocks, roughly 3 years after starting from scratch as a newb.

I guess you could also say that the whole Bitcoin/altcoin implosion this year has also given me a huge wake up call and made me see things clearly now, more than ever before, the great dangers in chasing after the popular “flavor of the week” stories, which almost ALWAYS will end in tears for the latecomers (i.e. bagholders). Boy, have I got crypto horror stories for you!

But I digress…

Anyway, if anyone is interested in reading my latest work, right now the easiest way to get a copy is simply to make a donation to the site, which supports all the other stuff (writing) that I do on here on a regular basis, earning far less than minimum wage. I’ll send you an email version of the ebook, which will have all the content embedded within the body. Also, I’ll send you the password to read the content on this blog.

Hmm, on second thought, maybe I’m not quite ready to call this thing an ebook yet…

Please note — As of today, I just got done writing the content, so I actually haven’t had the chance to convert everything to the proper ebook format (pdf) just yet. But I guess I need to do this eventually if I’m really going to call this an ebook!

Sorry for all the confusion!

In any case, the pdf is not ready yet, but if anyone is indeed interested in obtaining a pdf file of this latest content in the near future, please let me know in the comment section below, or through email, and I’ll be sure to get you a pdf copy once it’s ready.

Then I can “officially” call it an ebook!

How much for access to the content?

It’s really up to you.

If you ask me (and hopefully anyone who’s already got a copy and read through the “ebook” can comment below with their own opinions as well), I’d say it’s worth $20. I mean, I know for certain that I spent over $20 in coffee alone this past week as fuel needed to write this “ebook” lol.

So, yes, I’ll just outright say it — I’m hoping for $20/copy.

For PayPal donations, you can use the button below.

I even (still) accept donations via cryptos (lol).

Bitcoin (BTC):

1CnFjKPq81VVav9tGFmnkNyoubfnkmWZ5N

Ethereum (ETH):

0x4C27191179BA745992Cf7DE7b8B759b5980217Fd

Litecoin (LTC):

LNyDAkakkadmRrAxurkFDiBRtYjFLFskfM

For anyone who’s followed my other content, lately I’ve talked about tackling on new goals and challenges in life, and one of those is to figure out a way to generate $3,000/month in income via online work.

This “ebook” could be the start of a lot more things to come in the future!

Right now, it’s more a “test pilot” than anything else because quite honestly, I still don’t have a good idea of what kind of demand there is for my writing (i.e. more in-depth work). Off the top of my head, I’m thinking about possibly in the future writing ebooks covering topics such as: real estate, early FI, and probably a few more related to mining stocks. To be more specific, maybe stuff like, “How I got to early FI by age 31“, or, “How I made $1 million in real estate/mining“, etc.

Oh for sure, I definitely need to write an ebook on, “How I lost $200,000 investing in Chicago rental properties“.

That last ebook idea, for certain needs to be written!

Everyone, I will be brutally honest and confess that I know absolutely jack shit about promoting/marketing my own work. I have always been nothing more than a content creator (to my own detriment). So, yes, I realize full well that I need to step up my game if I’m going to have any chance of meeting my goals of actually making money off my work/writing/blogging/etc.

But you know what?

Life’s a journey and nobody has everything all figured out… It’s a struggle, much of the time. And we all have different strengths/weaknesses. Some people have trouble writing, I have trouble selling.

Ultimately, it’s about learning and improving.

Anyone who is on the path to early FI knows full well what I’m talking about… So, this time around, no different than before, I’m just gonna try and embrace things: the good, bad, and ugly.

And document it.

So, feel free to bash on me if you want for not having a plan in place for how to promote/market my work. It’s all good… I’m a huge work in progress. Many mistakes will be made, I guarantee you that.

But hopefully, by being open and keeping things raw with you all, it will make for a much more interesting (better) story to follow along to. I sure hope that would be the case.

Because, really, in this day and age, who still really wants to read about a journey where someone never admits they are wrong, never tells you straight up they don’t know what they are doing, and doesn’t allow the public to see their screw ups/mistakes?

Life ain’t no happy fairytale… at least not all the time.

I don’t need to sell the idea that I’m perfect and have everything all figured out. That would be the biggest crock of shit ever. I really have no clue as to what I’m doing. I have a ton to learn and I’ll readily admit that. I’m definitely open to hearing your thoughts, ideas, suggestions, etc. Please feel free to share below in the comments section.

Anyway, thanks for listening to me ramble ramble. And thank you all even more for the wonderful support all these years!

Now let’s go and make things happen!

Fight On!

1 bart van den broeckNo Gravatar August 29, 2018 at 3:47 am

Dear FiFighter,

Could you send me a copy/pdf of your article/book/report?

Thx in advance for your work.

Kind regards,

Bart Van den Broeck

2 FI FighterNo Gravatar August 29, 2018 at 4:05 am

Bart,

Thanks very much for your generous donation.

Just sent you a copy.

Hope you enjoy it!

3 MayankNo Gravatar August 29, 2018 at 4:29 am

I love your work and candidness Jay. Believe me or not early morning at work I am excited and ready to digest your content first before staring my work. Thanks for all you do and help!!!

4 FI FighterNo Gravatar August 29, 2018 at 10:27 am

Mayank,

You’re very welcome and thanks for all the support!

I hope you enjoy the content but not too much since you’re at work and I don’t want to get you in trouble. 😉

5 BenNo Gravatar August 29, 2018 at 5:06 am

Fantastic analysis. Appreciate the time you put into putting this together.

I have a few questions.
1. Are you still keen on Marathon Gold? I remember you used to be a fan of it
2. Are you able to post updates to your mining portfolio? I think many readers would agree that it would be good to see the weightings for each mining stock you hold?
3. When would you consider backing up the truck to go all in into mining, perhaps by selling your Indy property? According to you, we haven’t reached the Depths of Despair yet

6 FI FighterNo Gravatar August 29, 2018 at 10:36 am

Ben,

Thanks! Glad you’re enjoying the analysis.

To answer your questions:

1) I still really like Marathon Gold and think they have a quality project located in a good mining jurisdiction (Newfoundland). With Marathon, it could be “boring days” for awhile since they’re working on the PFS and it’s not scheduled to be release until sometime next year. My only real concern with Marathon in a bear market is their cash balance isn’t as high as some of the other developer names I mentioned in the ebook, and they don’t currently have the major partner locked in just yet. Initial CapEx is a little on the high side too but hopefully they keep discovering more ounces and can optimize it further in the PFS. I’m nitpicking a bit, and really, if they had a lot more cash, it would be a top pick for sure in the developer space. My biggest fear is future financings, in the event the market is weak and they can’t raise at a good premium.

2. I’m somewhat on the fence with this and still thinking about it. With mining stocks, my strategy has changed this year and I’m not as invested anywhere near as much as I was in 2016/2017, so the weighings may not give an accurate representation of things. Of course, if these mining stocks stay weak or collapse altogether, I may reconsider and look to get back in much more aggressively. I’m still following the space very closely and still making trades here and there, but to be honest, right now my focus is more so on trying to figure out where I want to live long-term and possibly even purchase a personal residence. Yeah, it’s kind of a year of transition for me right now.

3. If things got really really bad, and if these mining stocks enter valuations not seen since late 2015/early 2016, I would very seriously have to contemplate drastic measures such as selling off the Indy property to raise even more capital to speculate in the mining sector. No, I don’t think we are at those despair levels yet, but we’ll see how things unfold…

7 Benjamin HumphreyNo Gravatar August 29, 2018 at 5:49 am

Just sent through a donation. Would appreciate a copy sent through to my email. Thanks!

8 FI FighterNo Gravatar August 29, 2018 at 10:37 am

Thanks Benjamin! Just sent you a copy via email.

Hope you enjoy it!

9 VNo Gravatar August 29, 2018 at 10:01 am

Hi, the paypal link doesn’t seem to be working for me. Is there an email address I can send to directly or some other way to do it? Thanks bro!

10 FI FighterNo Gravatar August 29, 2018 at 10:38 am

V,

Sorry about that. I’ve updated the link with a PayPal button instead. If that doesn’t work, you can try the one on the side menu, near the top.

If you or anyone has any issues, please let me know.

Appreciate the heads up.

11 VNo Gravatar August 29, 2018 at 3:02 pm

Thanks! The link is working now. This is going to be my one big/discretionary expense this month.

I have been trying to focus on more frugal hobbies (reading, biking), but thanks for all the writing. I’m also focusing spending on, well, the kinds of things that really impact happiness (laughing, hanging out with friends, being connected with people). I am working to unpack all the like “buy a toy, be happy” programming, and to stop endlessly researching products online. It mainly comes from the fact that I like to learn too…so I want to apply that to managing the market.

I’ve been reading through this blog for months now, it has become clear that financial freedom is possible, but may require a significant amount of learning, experimentation, managing risk not gambling (aka patience), and facing what I need to do head-on.

Looking forward to learning about mining stocks, especially given they are down in the dumps.

12 JamesNo Gravatar August 29, 2018 at 11:09 am

Hi Jay,
I made a donation as I really enjoyed reading your blog over the years, and how you’re keeping it real. I love the cover of your latest publication, too. I feel like that polar bear delighting on consuming mining stocks for my portfolio. I’m looking forward to reading about your latest mining stock investing insights. Good luck in your new publishing endeavors.

13 FI FighterNo Gravatar August 29, 2018 at 5:50 pm

James,

Appreciate the donation and all the support!

Haha, that’s funny and I really do hope once all these bears out there get their fill and are well situated we can reverse course and head up for a spectacular rally again, just like 2016.

Hope you enjoy the read! And I haven’t forgotten, if I’m ever up in the Truckee/Lake Tahoe area, I’ll be sure to give you a shout.

It’s getting kinda near to that time of the year again to hit the slopes. 🙂

14 JoshuaNo Gravatar August 29, 2018 at 3:57 pm

Sent you a donation yesterday. Would appreciate a copy sent through to my email.

Thanks!

15 FI FighterNo Gravatar August 29, 2018 at 5:36 pm

Hi Joshua,

I have a different email address of yours on file, so it looks like it got sent there. No problem, I’ll send again to the one that’s listed here.

Please let me know if you don’t receive it shortly.

16 chenNo Gravatar August 30, 2018 at 5:09 pm

Sent you some dinero amigo

17 FI FighterNo Gravatar August 30, 2018 at 5:17 pm

Chen,

Thanks amigo, got it!

Email sent, hope you enjoy it.

18 David DillmanNo Gravatar September 2, 2018 at 2:58 pm

FI Fighter,

I just donated. I am very interested in your new ebook on Mining Stocks: Investing in a Bear Market.

19 FI FighterNo Gravatar September 3, 2018 at 1:51 pm

David,

Thanks for the most generous donation!

Email sent, I hope you enjoy it!

20 Wolf13No Gravatar September 3, 2018 at 12:46 pm

I made a donation – sfuehrlinger@hotmail.com

Thx!

21 FI FighterNo Gravatar September 3, 2018 at 1:52 pm

Wolf,

Got it, and many thanks!

Email sent and I hope you enjoy it!

22 NavNo Gravatar September 3, 2018 at 1:16 pm

Hey – just sent through a donation. I’m a relatively new reader but enjoy your content. Can you send across the mining book?

23 FI FighterNo Gravatar September 3, 2018 at 1:53 pm

Nav,

Got the donation, much appreciated!

Email sent, hope you enjoy it!