Portfolio Update: Building My Positions (October 29, 2015)

by FI Fighter on October 29, 2015

in Precious Metals Updates

Picture5_0

As a motivated buyer, you’ve got to love down days like today. I used the big drop to add to my positions. I’ve been making a lot of purchases as of late, but I don’t anticipate this surge of activity to continue for much longer. Actually, as we head towards the end of the year, my main focus will again shift back towards building up my cash positions.

I gotta say, I’m thankful for my income and passive income streams (from all 8 rental properties), which are making all of this speculation possible. I realize that I’ve been highly focused on establishing my mining portfolio, but all along the way, I’ve remained cognizant of the fact that it’s my Buy and Hold real estate investments that are my bread-and-butter holdings.

I should be clear on this point — Without having that core in place, I would be extremely reluctant to speculate so heavily on potential growth stories. You always have to have that foundation in place first before you go wandering astray…

Anyway, here are the purchases for today:

• 19,000 shares of Pilot Gold (PLG.TO) @ C$0.385/share
  • 10,000 shares of True Gold Mining (TGM.V) @ C$0.245/share
  • 5,000 shares of B2Gold (BTG) @ $1.07/share

I now own 35,000 shares of PLG.TO @ C$0.376/share.
I now own 46,000 shares of TGM.V @ C$0.20/share.
I now own 12,000 shares of BTG @ $1.12/share.

As I mentioned in yesterday’s article, part of my underlying strategy is to establish sizable positions in what I called my Mining All-Star Lineup.

Just like I always try to do on this journey, I put my money where my mouth is. With that said, here’s where we stand at the conclusion of today:

My Current All-Star Portfolio: October 29, 2015

Screen Shot 2015-10-29 at 5.48.10 PM

I was around $23,500 short of the $100,000 target yesterday. Pretium Resources (PVG) was down big today and Alterra Power (MGMXF/AXY.TO) popped unexpectedly, up ~11%.

Goes to show how impossible it is to time these things… So, I’m just going to keep buying on down days like today.

Right now (baring any substantial pullbacks), I would say that I am just about done purchasing: Gold Canyon Resources (GDCRF/GCU.V), Ivanhoe Mines (IVPAF/IVN.TO), Newmarket Gold (NMKTF/NMI.TO), Pilot Gold (PLGTF/PLG.TO), Pretium Resources (PVG), and True Gold Mining (RVREF/TGM.V).

Once the Gold Canyon Resources and First Mining Finance (FFMGF/FF.V) merger completes in November, the arb opportunity should push the shares north of my $20,000 target. Further, my positions in NMI.TO, PLG.TO, PVG, and TGM.V are close enough to striking distance that I’ll probably just rely on share price appreciation to hit those marks (eventually).

On the aforementioned list, I’ll probably focus on Alterra Power next… Although, I don’t like buying anything when it has risen by 11%!

Other mining stocks I like right now:

• BTG @ ~$1.10/share; Again, I purchased @ $1.07/share today
  • Teranga Gold (TGCDF/TGZ.TO) @ ~C$0.53/share
  • IAMGOLD (IAG) @ ~$1.70/share
  • Endeavour Silver (EXK) @ ~$1.65/share

On second thought, yeah, it’ll probably be in my best interest to just focus on cold hard cash again… 🙂

Happy Investing/Speculating!

Photo Credit: True Gold Mining

1 PPC IanNo Gravatar October 29, 2015 at 10:57 pm

FI Fighter,
Long time reader, love your blog! Really enjoying your thoughts on gold. At one point, I think you mentioned you bought some AUY. Do you still own that one? Didn’t see it listed here so was wondering if you might have sold it? Keep up the great work, really benefit from your amazing writing.
Best,
Ian

2 FI FighterNo Gravatar October 30, 2015 at 6:58 am

Ian,

Thanks for the support! In regards to AUY, yes I still own it and was fortunate enough to get in when it was trading below $2.00/share. AUY has more debt than I would like, but like most stocks, when the price drops low enough, it warrants our consideration. I’m a strong buyer below $2.00/share.

AUY just announced a streaming deal with Sandstorm and they’ve been working aggressively towards reducing debt, cash costs, expenses, etc. They should be able to make it out of this bear market intact.

Here’s a full listing of all my positions:

3 Dividend Growth InvestorNo Gravatar October 30, 2015 at 11:16 am

Hi FI Fighter,

Do you know if you are planning to post any updates to the cashflow numbers on your properties?

I am just curious how that has worked out since April.

DGI

4 FI FighterNo Gravatar November 2, 2015 at 6:25 am

DGI,

Yes, I’m hoping to get those updates out over the next few months. I will be away from the blog in the near term, but should have some free time to tally up those numbers soon.

5 No Nonsense LandlordNo Gravatar October 30, 2015 at 12:24 pm

Great job on the gold portfolio. I am not 100% sold on gold, although I have 100 shrs of GLD.

My rentals are still performing well, and the portfolio had been a rock-star in October.

6 FI FighterNo Gravatar November 2, 2015 at 6:26 am

Eric,

Thanks. I’m obviously fully convinced that we will have another turn in the future.

100 shares of GLD is good exposure to the gold trade.

7 GeorgeNo Gravatar November 2, 2015 at 5:27 pm

This was one interesting post. Thank you for your inspiration. As i do not have anything in real estate (i just started on this journey 10 months ago), i am looking forward for more blogs post.

8 FI FighterNo Gravatar November 5, 2015 at 10:15 am

George,

Thanks! Glad you are finding the posts useful.

9 FreewillFinanceNo Gravatar November 3, 2015 at 8:24 am

That’s an impressive precious metal portfolio. If we have anywhere near the run up that happened 5 years ago this could pay off huge. I have a bit of physical gold and silver myself. I think it’s a great insurance policy against inflation and some sort of global economic meltdown.

Best of luck on your holdings!

-FwF

10 FI FighterNo Gravatar November 5, 2015 at 10:17 am

FwF,

Definitely, another bull run would easily catapult these stocks by many orders of magnitude; that’s what I’m holding out for.

Yup, gold has always been an inflation hedge and it should be no different this time around. In fact, gold is up in literally all other currencies outside of the strong U.S. dollar. Unfortunately, many local investors choose to ignore this and can’t see the bigger picture.

11 DP @ Someday ExtraordinaryNo Gravatar November 5, 2015 at 9:31 am

I like IAG, also. How about Claude Resources or Thompson Creek? TC has sold off some of its gold in a streaming deal and might sell off more to pay down debt, but once metals prices turn around, it should get hot. Teck Resources? One of my favorites right now, as well.

-DP

12 FI FighterNo Gravatar November 5, 2015 at 10:20 am

DP,

Another strong decline today… IAG, EXK, AUY, LSG, etc. are all looking extremely tempting at these levels.

I don’t know too much about Claude Resources but Thompson Creek has too much debt for my taste… I think base metals may still have further to decline, but most recently I picked up 40,000 shares of Copper Mountain as I couldn’t resist shares trading at C$0.47/share… That one ran from C$0.33/share to upwards of C$8.00/share from 2008 to 2011. It’s a great company with strong management (Jim O’Rourke is a mining legend).

I see an easy 5-bagger with this stock.

In general, I’m not a fan of large cap companies like Tech Resources, and they are “too diversified” for my own tastes… I’m mostly focused solely on: gold, silver, copper, uranium.