Water Fasting: Day 10 (April 25, 2016)

by FI Fighter on April 25, 2016

in Health Updates

We are now on Day 10 of water fasting. Just as I expected, starting around Day 7 or Day 8, I started observing some rather significant changes… During the first week, I did have some difficulties battling hunger pains, but those have now more or less subsided. Blemishes are now more pronounced and protruding out (perhaps a sign that they are the next targets for elimination), my mouth is reconstituting itself (skin is peeling off), dull pain is now sharp and intense, and my breath is metallic and very dry. My tongue now also features a heavy, thick white coating (sorry for all the details!). I am sleeping decently but have some pretty bad back pain as I’m probably in bed too much… I’ve lost about 12 pounds or so thus far.

For the most part, my mental clarity is still good and I feel like I’m in good enough shape to keep going for another 5 days or so.

Could I do 21 days? Maybe, but I doubt I will attempt such a long water fast this time around…

I think I’ll save such an ambitious task for when I’m on a tropical island in much warmer climate… When it comes to water fasting, weather can make all the difference in the world. Definitely, it is much preferable to fast in a warm climate, and right now, the weather in the Bay Area is pretty mild.

Oh well, I think I’m getting what I want out of this latest session, anyway.

Fight On!

1 Investment Hunting April 25, 2016 at 1:28 pm

Wow, and you signed up to do this! The side effects sound unpleasant, but 12 pounds lost is fantastic. I wonder if it will stay off or come right back as you reintroduce a normal diet.

2 FI Fighter April 25, 2016 at 6:00 pm

IH,

The side effects are normal, I’ve experienced these before. The weight loss isn’t a concern and once I resume a regular diet it will come back pretty easily.

3 JP April 25, 2016 at 5:33 pm

Man that’s intense. I’ve done some intermittent fasting for 36 hours or so but never longer than that due to the risk of muscle loss and metabolic changes. Regardless of me not agreeing with the length of your fast, it is still great to clean it up every once in a while mentally and physically. Just don’t do it for fat loss.

4 FI Fighter April 25, 2016 at 6:02 pm

JP,

Once you enter Day 4+ the body enters into “protein sparing” mode, so muscle mass will start to be conserved more rigorously as the body transitions to burning fat and ketones for energy. Definitely losing weight is not my objective, when all is said and done I’ll probably be down to just a hair above 100 lbs! I’m doing this for health… There are certain aches/pains/chronic conditions that no prescription pill or diet can solve… Water fasting obliterates everything and lets the body start over… Sometimes that’s what needs to be done.

5 thepermanentweekend.com April 26, 2016 at 5:07 pm

Nice work. I’m about to start a 7-14 day water only fast on Thursday. I’ve done one 14 day fast at the True North health clinic and one 7 day fast at home. I’ve got a specific issue which responds really well to fasting. It’s certainly not easy to do but we’ll worth it when you see health benefits. Keep up the good work.

6 BeSmartRich May 6, 2016 at 7:22 am

It has been a while for me to visit here and you were fasting? That’s amazing. Hopefully you came out alive and are doing well!

BSR