LinkedIn Profile: Do You Care About Yours?

by FI Fighter on December 10, 2013

in Career

linked_in_profile

Lately, I’ve been hit with quite a few requests from anonymous people on LinkedIn. I generally accept these invitations but I really don’t care so much about my LinkedIn profile anymore. It’s funny, when I first registered a few years back, I thought my LinkedIn profile would become my new resume. It was supposed to be my golden ticket to a bigger and brighter future. I used to cherish it like my credit score (which is way, way more important), and would spend hours upon hours tweaking it… trying to get it just right.

How Things Change

Passive income… It’s crazy what it can do to you. It not only instills confidence, but makes you feel empowered.

• Do I care about networking with other professionals in my career field? No.
  • Do I want to make friends with headhunters and recruiters? No.
  • Do I even need a photo on my profile? No. My profile hasn’t had a photo update in over a year.

I feel like I’m getting close to achieving my goal of early financial independence. I should surpass my original passive income target of $1500/month by early 2014. By the end of 2014, the cash flow is expected to be in well excess of that, most likely collecting over $2000/month. By no means is anything certain in life, and I don’t want to walk around with a false sense of bravado… or count my chickens before they hatch, but I’m not going to lie and pretend like having an additional income stream doesn’t alter a person’s mentality either.

It does…

Focus Shift

I like being in control of things. My job makes me feel powerless. I honestly feel like I could be laid off at any moment for any reason. I detest corporate politics, and they are especially bad in the high-tech field. All it takes is one bad earnings report and heads will roll. I’ve seen it happen before and I’m certain it will happen again. It’s only a matter of time…

Realistically, I should be able to last in my career for another 1-2 years. If that’s all I need, then why do I need to waste my time worrying about my LinkedIn profile? I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again — I don’t want to be an engineer anymore.

Should I transition into a new field, such as real estate (agent), I guess you could say I might need to hold on to a LinkedIn profile… Either that, or find another site to help me network with others. Or I could just close down my engineering profile and start a new one. Kind of like starting over with a clean slate.

Other Thoughts

These days I care more about connecting with other bloggers and investors. Unlike my career network, I can actually relate with these people, and I want to get to know them better. 🙂

All joking aside, LinkedIn was useful for a period of my life. It helped me land a new job and meet other engineers. It served its purpose, but as someone on the journey to early financial independence, I’ve reached the point where I feel like I no longer need it anymore.

As such, that blank photo you see above will be all that remains. No new photos. No more updates. What you see is what you get. And for some reason, all these networking professionals still want to connect with me…

What about you? Do you rely on LinkedIn? Do you work hard to maintain your profile? Once you reach financial independence, what will you do with your now “useless” profile?

1 FFdividendNo Gravatar December 10, 2013 at 8:51 am

I have an account and it was created when everybody was talking about it. I don’t even remember the last time I log in.

2 FI FighterNo Gravatar December 10, 2013 at 8:14 pm

FFdividend,

Same here! I can’t recall the last time I actually used LinkedIn, other than to accept an invitation.

3 theFIREstarterNo Gravatar December 11, 2013 at 12:28 am

I dont even remember creating an account yet I somehow have one!!! (they used to do some really sneaky one click account opening thing if someone invited you as I recall… a bit underhand if you ask me)

I have never updated it, yet I still get the occasional random “J.Blogs has certified your skill in Albanian sheep herding” or something along those lines, who I haven’t worked with or spoken to in 3 years. What a load of horsesh*t!

I have had the same job for 10 years so I guess I never needed it for networking, maybe it would become useful if I wanted to switch jobs but rather than waste my energy on doing that and learning a new job, new people, etc, I am piling all my efforts into just saving, investing, and retiring early. So it seems totally pointless to ever look at linkedIn!

I hate networking and corporate politics as well… yuk!

4 Done by FortyNo Gravatar December 10, 2013 at 9:25 am

I’m totally impressed by your passive income stream. We have not focused on this enough, but hopefully will get some rental properties going in the next few years.

I only care about my LinkedIn profile when I am trying to switch jobs. 🙂

5 FI FighterNo Gravatar December 10, 2013 at 8:15 pm

Done by Forty,

Thanks! I’m doing my best to get there by 30. Best of luck with the rentals… I obviously believe in real estate investing 😉

Same here! And while I’m looking for a new job, only then do I ask for references on LinkedIn.

6 moneyconeNo Gravatar December 10, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Haha! I have an account, don’t remember the last time I updated it. For me, I found it mostly useless. I treat it the same way as facebook.

7 FI FighterNo Gravatar December 10, 2013 at 8:16 pm

moneycone,

I think LinkedIn is pretty useful for the career type who wants to network and climb up the corporate ladder. If you don’t care for any of that (like me) then yup it is essentially useless!

Facebook… lol, don’t get me started on that one 😉

Thanks for stopping by!

8 Increase Credit LimitNo Gravatar December 10, 2013 at 12:52 pm

I have a profile, but usually don’t update it regularly. For me, it’s nice to know there are options out there if I ever did need to look for a new job. Within the past 6 months, I’ve been contacted by at least 3 recruiters who are looking to hire, and even though nothing has worked out and I have stayed happy at my current job, it’s nice to know that while building up my stash, there are other options out there if I did want to move around!

9 FI FighterNo Gravatar December 10, 2013 at 8:17 pm

Increase Credit Limit,

Yeah, it’s definitely always a great feeling to know that there are others out there who are interested in your skills and talent. I used to love connecting with recruiters and other hiring managers… I’m just at a different place now…

10 The First Million is the HardestNo Gravatar December 10, 2013 at 3:08 pm

My linkedin profile is important to me because I still have to work & I’m in the process of looking for a new job so it’s a valuable tool.

I think even if you’re planning to retire early linkedin can be valuable for you. Bloggers, Real Estate investors etc… are all on linkedin.

11 FI FighterNo Gravatar December 10, 2013 at 8:19 pm

Jay,

Yup, as long as you are employed and need help finding the next job, LinkedIn is extremely useful and important. I’m just finding myself needing it less and less these days… again, this is entirely due to the fact that I want to check out in the next 2 years or so… I was writing to simply share my thoughts and how passive income changes your mentality.

Good point… LinkedIn is probably still worth having, even after you switch careers…

12 Justin @ RootofGoodNo Gravatar December 10, 2013 at 5:32 pm

I pretty much ignored mine while working and since I retired at 33. I only updated it maybe 1-2 times ever. I know I updated it when I changed jobs 3 years ago. Other than that, I never really kept it up. I don’t even have a photo on there.

I still accept friend requests if I somewhat recognize the person or if they are directly related to the field I used to be in.

I’m really tempted to just update it to Chief Awesome Officer at RootofGood.com . That’s my title on my facebook page. 🙂

I guess I leave it up as-is so people can find me if they seek me out. And in case someone wants to offer me beaucoup money for doing very little work. You never know.

13 FI FighterNo Gravatar December 10, 2013 at 8:20 pm

Justin,

Same here! I rarely update and have no active photo. Hopefully I’ll be able to join you on the otherside in a few short years! 😉

Haha, glad you are having fun with the titles… I’d probably do the same.

14 MartinNo Gravatar December 10, 2013 at 7:17 pm

I do not rely on LinkedIn at all. I have two profiles, one for my engineering career and the second one for my Hello Suckers! career.

And the Hello Suckers! career at LinkedIn is a total fun for me. Originally I hoped I might be able to link with other investors and professionals and learn from them, but I learn more by reading blogs such as yours. So i have it totally as a fun page, I created a fake school of Self University of Investing and so on. I play with it only if I have time and use it as a marketing tool as well (but not convinced it works).

Although I like mechanical engineering I do, sometimes I also wish my passive income cover all my expenses so I could quit… well, long journey ahead yet.

15 FI FighterNo Gravatar December 10, 2013 at 8:21 pm

Martin,

Love your sense of humor! It’s too bad the workplace has to be so serious most of the time… I’m also an engineer…

One day, I would like to just network with other bloggers and investors. Just have fun with life when I no longer have to worry about money… or offending anyone.

16 JC @ Passive-Income-PursuitNo Gravatar December 11, 2013 at 7:34 am

Have one, but I haven’t updated it in 3 years. And I hope to not have the need to keep up with it after a few more years. I really like Justin’s title on Facebook. Chief Awesome Officer! Love it.