Broken Laptop (March 3, 2017)

by FI Fighter on March 2, 2017

in Blog Update

Hey everyone, I’m writing to you all from my tablet. Unfortunately, I dropped my laptop on the ground and busted the screen so posting will be light until I can head back to the states to get it fixed. I will be heading back to HK on Sunday and then will spend a week there.

Because I want to see some friends again…

And indulge in a few more bowls of Ichiran ramen (which you can only get in: Japan, HK, and NYC).

Then I’m going going back back to Cali Cali…

Anyway, just a few quick thoughts:

• Alona Beach in Panglao is breathtakingly beautiful. The water is remarkably clear and turquoise… Or whatever green/blue is called.
  • Mining stocks got smashed to bits and I fear the worst is yet to come since a Fed rate hike seems very likely in March now. I have been buying a bunch of Alexco Resource (AXU) and Fortuna Silver (FSM). If the sell off continues I will back up the truck. Volatility in these stocks is perfectly normal so I have no fear. Buy low and sell high… I will try my best to ease my way in and buy in tranches so I don’t use up all my funds all at once. These firesales are the opportunities we all live for as early financial independence fighters.
  • The Philippines is an amazing destination for anyone who loves beaches and sunshine. If that’s your cup of tea, they’ve got it in spades here… Not to mention excellent BBQ, fresh fruits (coconuts, pineapples, mangos, bananas, etc.), friendly locals, and extremely affordable prices… If you are into the rat race and 9-5 grind and stressing out all the time, stay away… Only come here if you want to chill! smile! and enjoy life.

That is all for now…

Back to the beach!

Fight On!

1 JanNo Gravatar March 3, 2017 at 4:49 am

Thanks Jay!

2 ConorNo Gravatar March 3, 2017 at 8:54 am

When you say you want to buy when prices drop, are you talking about mining stocks or silver? I’m heavy in mining stocks right now and getting worried due to everything being red. Would love to hear your feedback. Thanks.

3 PonNo Gravatar March 3, 2017 at 11:14 am

Yup, everything is going down down down. I did make a mistake on a huge cobalt buy, whereas I should have bought in tranches, emotions kicked in and I didn’t want to miss out.

I haven’t looked in any gold and silver yet, perhaps it’s time to.

Do you have opinion for any of those?
– Something weird I’ve noticed for cobalt is that spot price up, stocks down? Same with U. Maybe like you said it’s the rate hike?

– Ethical cobalt mining? Is this just a way to market mining companies in the developed world? I’ve noticed more news on DRC instability, (but maybe that’s the usual thing in DRC and people are just trying market ethical mining in developed words)

4 ChillywitNo Gravatar March 3, 2017 at 4:40 pm

Thanks Jay for the 411 on the Philippines. Never been there, and had never considered it before until your post. I’m in need of some serious relaxation with no one asking me to put out their fires.

5 Mustard Seed MoneyNo Gravatar March 5, 2017 at 2:18 pm

I would love to go to the Philippines based on your suggestion. I love BBQ and beaches. So count me in.

6 RINo Gravatar March 5, 2017 at 2:54 pm

The Philippines is fantastic. I’m biased since I grew up there before moving to the northwest. I’ve never been personally to Cebu .. but if you’re into beaches and slow lifestyle there are 7000 + islands to choose from. My favorite so far is Palawan.

7 RocDocNo Gravatar March 6, 2017 at 10:32 pm

Your travels sound heavenly and I can hardly wait until we leave the full time work world and start to travel more. That is hilarious that your brother brought you home a Burrito and that you even want one with all that delicious Asian food! I read in Tawcan’s blog that he was able to meet up with you while he was on a business trip. You are living the dream!

8 JanNo Gravatar March 16, 2017 at 5:20 am

HI Jay, I bought some stocks on the 13th & 14th and then again just before the close on the 14th -when the stocks were tanking – that was great timing. Some went up 14% yesterday from that low point.
I hope you were able to catch some bargains also. Well I hope they are bargains – I have a feeling they were good prices regardless (even if they do go back down again…hope not).